In simple words, web hosting is a type of Internet hosting service. In a web hosting, people and organizations make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. Web hosting can be done through many web hosting companies that are there in the market.
There are a variety of Web Hosting services out there in the market. A user can choose from different Web Hosting services available like Shared Hosting, Managed Hosting, Dedicated Hosting etc. In this article, we would be drawing comparisons between Managed Vs Unmanaged VPS Web Hosting. We will be discussing the advantages and disadvantages of both and also how they can enhance your business or website.
Managed Virtual Private Server
Managing a web server is not a simple task. It involves a lot of work such as server configuration, maintenance, software updates, and securities. For one who is not a technically expert user, it will be a tiresome task to take care of all these stuff along with consuming a huge amount of time. When it comes to the case of Managed VPS the web-hosting provider takes care of all these maintenance. It leaves you less worried about the technical issues that you might face.
Unmanaged VPS Hosting
Unmanaged VPS Hosting is for those people who are expert in managing a virtual web server. It is for those who do not require any kind of assistance from a web host.
The user himself has to take care of software updates, server configuration, and security etc. In simple words, it can be compared to buying a computer with just the operating system installed. One should have enough experience to manage an unmanaged VPS as it is a physical, dedicated server.
Advantages of Managed Virtual Private Servers
- You don’t have to worry about the security of your website. The hardware part in managed VPS is in secure hands of the web host itself. The user does not have to be tensed about downtimes and technical errors.
- The updates and security scans are done by your web host itself. The management team of your web host will take care of vulnerability scans. They will fix the security patches and make essential upgrades as and when required. This helps a lot with potential attacks to your website.
- In case you do not have the technical knowledge, the team of your web host will provide you assistance. The web host helps you in the case of all the problems related to your website. This is useful for new people working.
- Since you are less concerned about a technical aspect of the server, you will be able to focus on your site/blog. The time will be managed in a better way.
Advantages of Unmanaged VPS
- When you compare Managed Vs Unmanaged VPS, unmanaged VPS offers an extensive level of control on various aspects. This may include installing different software, performance usage and storage space offered by the host.
- One can have a more customization. Changing performance and other aspects of your server are all up to your convenience. You can do almost everything you wish.
- Unmanaged VPS is best suited if you need server-level control for development and publishing of your content. You can have blogs, websites and even high-resource-consuming apps with unmanaged VPS.
- One of the most important aspects is that an unmanaged VPS is quite affordable than a managed VPS.
Disadvantages of Managed Virtual Private Servers
- When we compare the two, the biggest difference is that the managed VPS pricing plans are quite expensive.
- No matter how creative or technically sound you are, you do not have control on the server you claim to own. The server is controlled by your web hosting provider.
- If you try to change applications or operating system in-between a process, it won’t be possible with managed VPSs.
- There are chances that there might be some resource sharing present in your server. Your data might be shared by some other people.
Disadvantages of Unmanaged VPS Hosting
- If you want to do well in the case of an Unmanaged VPS, you have to be an expert. There is no help when it comes to updates and security. You will have to manage everything by yourself.
- Managing everything by you often becomes very time-consuming. You may have to appoint someone to do all this for you and this will lead to paying some extra money.
- There is no sort of support or assistance from web-hosting service and you will have to do everything of your own.
- Technical support of unmanaged VPS is limited to purely technical failures that occur in web host’s end. Apart from this, you will have to take care of everything else that creates problems for your server or website.
We have above seen both the advantages and disadvantages of managed and unmanaged Virtual Private Servers. However, there would still be some doubts in the minds of people.
If we are to consider the case of managed VPS, it is adoption for those who do not want to spend that much time in administrator section of your server. So basically it is good for new users and those who want to save time and make money instead. It offers top-notch support from web-hosting service, you can completely forget about updates and patches. However, to get all these features, you will have to pay a little higher.
On the other hand, unmanaged VPS’ are for those who seek the highest level of customizability. In a case of an unmanaged VPS, you need to be an expert on server management, as you’ll have to take care of upgrading, security patches and all. When compared to Managed VPS hosting, pricing and plans for unmanaged VPS are quite low.
Conclusion – Managed Vs Unmanaged VPS
We have analyzed all the different aspects of Managed Vs Unmanaged VPS. UnManaged VPS Hosting is cheap than Managed VPS server.
Most of the medium sized business can go for Unmanaged VPS if they have some technical knowledge to sustain and operate it. Unmanaged VPS is for those who have a lack of manpower but have the technical knowledge to handle server administration. While a large business that runs applications in real time then they need Managed VPS web hosting. As Managed VPS hosting saves time to maintain the server.